UPDATE: October 10th, 2019 at 4:00 PM PDTGood news! The outages for our area happened and we were not among those affected, which means we are no longer at risk of an extended power outage.
In recent years, record-breaking wildfires have devastated parts of California. Several of these fires were caused or exacerbated by poorly maintained electrical infrastructure. In response, PG&E is now shutting off power for large areas as a wildfire prevention measure.
On October 9th and 10th, San Mateo County and the surrounding areas will be under a Public Safety Power Shut-off (PSPS) Watch. It's possible that we won't have power beginning early tomorrow morning, and the shut-off could last as long as 2-7 days.
Without power, we won't be able to print shipping labels, so an outage may affect processing and shipping times.
We are taking the following steps to reduce the impact of a Public Safety Power Shut-off:
- If you place an order right beforehand and we don't get a chance to print your shipping label before losing power, we'll e-mail you directly. You can choose to wait it out or cancel for a full refund. If you initially decide to wait but change your mind later, the refund option is available at any time before your order is shipped.
- We will post a big, blue banner across the top of the website and another message at the end of check-out after an outage happens, so anyone ordering after that will know what's up. We will also make announcements on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
- The guaranteed delivery dates for Priority Mail Express will be changed to 2 weeks out, just in case the outage lasts for a full 7 days. They may go back down again if the power comes back on.
- We have several external power supplies charged and ready to go so that we can still use our phones. We won't be online quite as much as we are normally, but we will check in a few times per day and do not expect any delays in answering messages.
- Tonight, we'll be working late to package orders after closing. That way, if an outage occurs before we open tomorrow, some of those early evening orders will still make it out on time.
If you do not see a blue banner across the top of the website warning of a power outage, that means we currently have power and are processing and shipping orders like usual.
We thank you for your patience and understanding in the event of an outage, and will update this blog post as needed if the status of the PSPS Watch changes.